1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Speedometer accuracy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mustangs Alley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mustangs Alley

Number of posts : 30
Your location : Garnet Valley, PA
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Speedometer accuracy Empty
PostSubject: Speedometer accuracy   Speedometer accuracy EmptyWed 11 Mar - 12:46

Hi folks,
Question...not a gear head (just enough to get me in trouble and cost me more money than it should).....so please be kind!!

Since the rear diff was changed out by the previous owner, the speedometer is not accurate at all. It runs 10-15 mph higher than it should. Luckily GPS's are out that can help. However, I'd like to get it at least close, if possible. Any ideas on how this can be fixed? Can linkage be changed to accommodate? I'm hearing that you cannot get it accurate. I assume, if I put the 3.0 back in, it may be. But, I'm thinking of going with a 3.5 diff, which will most likely still cause the speedo to be incorrect.

Any suggestions?
PS: In states with strict inspection rules, an inaccurate speedometer will be a failing point !!! YIKES !!

Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge.

Kirk Question
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer accuracy   Speedometer accuracy EmptyWed 11 Mar - 23:39

Hi Kirk,

you are active Very Happy I believe you can purchase different gears for the speedo cable to align with your rear end. I am not sure if you replace the gearbox end or the dash end so hopefully someone has done it before.

Sean
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

Number of posts : 15
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: New speedo gears   Speedometer accuracy EmptyMon 26 Apr - 6:09

Kirk, with regards to your speedo inacuracy. The driving gear attached to the end of the speedo cable is the one that is easily changed.
You can try all the various speedo calibration formulas on the net but I have never found them to work on Mustangs I have had.
The best rule of thumb is for every 5 mph you are out it equals one tooth on the gear. From memory if it reads too fast put more teeth in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer accuracy   Speedometer accuracy Empty

Back to top Go down

Speedometer accuracy
Page 1 of 1