1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steering box lash (or slack)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Steering box lash (or slack) Empty
PostSubject: Steering box lash (or slack)   Steering box lash (or slack) EmptyWed 11 Mar - 23:36

HI guys,

I have some slack in my steering ( I know - very typical) and have rebuilt the power steering ram etc with new seals etc. My question is whether you know if the adjusting screw on top of the steering box can be used to minimse slack in th esteering box or if I would cause bigger problems adjudting this. I inderstand it is for the lash adjustment but not sure exactly what it impacts. Any mechanics on the forum?

sean
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

PostSubject: Re: Steering box lash (or slack)   Steering box lash (or slack) EmptySun 15 Mar - 6:11

Thought I would update you as I have tweaked my adjustment carefully. I found the following site:
www.stangerssite.com

Very useful as he describes how to and how not to adjust the steering box. I still decided to try it after reading and did a very gentle adjustment in car after dropping th epower ram off the pitman arm.

I have a small play in my steering still - from the box- the wheel can move maybe 1 inch while driving. This seems pretty good to me although nowhere near as tight as my later falcon.

How much play is 'typical' in your vehicles?
Back to top Go down
Mustangs Alley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mustangs Alley

Number of posts : 30
Your location : Garnet Valley, PA
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Steering box lash (or slack)   Steering box lash (or slack) EmptyMon 16 Mar - 14:45

Sean,
Thanks for the info to that site. I've sent them a question and wondered if you or others have run into the same situation. Although I'm not as thin as I once was, I'm still not that big (at least that's my opinion..LOL)..anyway, my legs rub across the bottom of the steering wheel when I get in and once I'm seated properly there isn't much room between me and the wheel. I've found that others cannot fit in (or to well) either.
Is this common on these cars? If so, is there any way to make an adjustment in the steering column? Or, are there alternative (ie; tilt steering, etc.) that would work?

I guess the one alternative would be to lose weight !!!

Thanks.
Kirk Laughing
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

PostSubject: Re: Steering box lash (or slack)   Steering box lash (or slack) EmptyTue 17 Mar - 0:17

Hi Kirk,

Definitely not a lot of room in them, but you don't want to do something desperate like losing wieght! LoL

A place called www.flamingriver.com makes tilt steering column but pretty expensive and don't know how much difference it makes to the room. Probably depends on the narrowest (or widest) point Very Happy

I found trying to turn upside down and get under the dash while the seat was still it the thing that hurt the most Crying or Very sad not as flexible as I used to be.

Cheers

Sean
Back to top Go down
Mustangs Alley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mustangs Alley

Number of posts : 30
Your location : Garnet Valley, PA
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Steering box lash (or slack)   Steering box lash (or slack) EmptyWed 18 Mar - 15:08

LOL....that has to be everyones "favorite" position !!!

I think I found an option....my current steering wheel is a 16" rim-blow.

I'm opting to purchase a Grant Classic 13 1/2" Wood/Billet wheel, which should suffice. Didn't really want to do the tilt wheel anyway. Summit Racing has them for about 1/2 the cost as the Grant Suggested Retail price.

Although the rim-blow is unique, I've always found that I can't get it to blast when I want to, yet it blasts when I don't want it to, like in the middle of a turn. My father had a '70 Cougar that I used to drive and I had the same issue back then.

I think I'm set, as long as the the weight goes down and not up Crying or Very sad

Regards,
Kirk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering box lash (or slack)   Steering box lash (or slack) Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering box lash (or slack)
Page 1 of 1