1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

In dash tach works problems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Riley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mike Riley

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-09

In dash tach works problems Empty
PostSubject: In dash tach works problems   In dash tach works problems EmptySat 18 Jul - 20:51

I put a Petronix Flamethrower II and a matching coil in my M-code. The tach hasn't worked quite right. I never had the tach hooked up to the distributor with points, so I am not sure what my problem is. Sometimes it appears to be working correctly up to about 2,500 rpms and other times it just doesn't work. I am not sure if I have a wiring problem or if it is something I need to change to match the new electronics in the distributor. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated. Question
Back to top Go down
1970twisterspecial
Mach1 Veteran
1970twisterspecial

Number of posts : 105
Your location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: In dash tach works problems   In dash tach works problems EmptySun 19 Jul - 1:53

Check the wiring first.
With an indash Tach the wire from the ignition switch should run through the Tach and then to the coil.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dutch-twister.nl
Mike Riley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mike Riley

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: In dash tach works problems   In dash tach works problems EmptyMon 20 Jul - 11:09

1970twisterspecial wrote:
Check the wiring first.
With an indash Tach the wire from the ignition switch should run through the Tach and then to the coil.

Yah, I looked at my wiring diagram and it looks like there is a "keyed live" wire that comes from the fuse box to the tach (red w/yellow tracer). I had an earlier problem with the car starting but not running with lack of current through the tach wire (ran another "keyed live" wire that was already in the wiring harness to the coil in addition to the tach wire). I think this probably explains my problem - somewhere I have a dead wire or bad connection. The reverse wire loop, which is on the same connection, works and appears to be on the same ignition plug. I'll have to check my wiring with a continuity light. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In dash tach works problems   In dash tach works problems Empty

Back to top Go down

In dash tach works problems
Page 1 of 1