1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oil Pressure

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cwomustang
cwomustang

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptySat 8 Aug - 11:39

Got a question about oil pressure. When I start up the car, the oil pressure reading on the gauge is fine. (needle goes up to about 3/4 between low and high) Once the engine warms up (about 15 minutes into a drive) the needle slowly starts dropping down to low (like, 0) which takes about 10-15 minutes. So in a 30 minute period driving, I lose my oil pressure. In the research I've done I've heard of everything from new sending unit to thicker oil to new oil filter to bad bearings. Has anyone seen this in their Mach 1? If so, what was the fix?

R/
Don
Back to top Go down
1970twisterspecial
Mach1 Veteran
1970twisterspecial

Number of posts : 105
Your location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptySat 8 Aug - 13:02

Are the other dash meter spot on ?
If the fuel ain't spot on with a full tank, than the problem is the dash regulator.
If that's OK, replace the oilpressure sender first.
This can be tough if you have a Cleveland engine, where it's behind the intake manifold,
close to the firewall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dutch-twister.nl
cwomustang
cwomustang

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptySat 8 Aug - 17:16

The rest of the dash gauges check 4.0. I think I'm going to try replacing the sending unit. I'll let you know how that goes. (good thing I've got the 351W, eh?) Thanks for the reply, Ronald.
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptySun 9 Aug - 21:06

What sort of oil pressure reading do folks have on their gauge? On my cleveland it sits what I think is pretty low the whole time does not really go up or down significantly, maybe 1/4 up the guage. The fuel guage seems fine.

Sean
Back to top Go down
Mike Riley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mike Riley

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptyTue 11 Aug - 1:01

I have a factory tach - I have the "idiot light" rather than a gauge. So, I purchased a console pod and ran AutoMeter electric oil pressure and Amp gauges. My Cleveland is still in the break-in period, but it keeps consistent 60-75 lbs. Most of the time you get inconsistent oil pressure readings it is the sending unit. Hope it is that - much cheaper and easier fix than the dash gauge. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptyWed 12 Aug - 4:29

cheers Mike, I will try that.

Sean
Back to top Go down
cwomustang
cwomustang

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptyThu 13 Aug - 17:21

Well, I changed my oil sending unit today. I also did a quick oil change as the sending unit on a W motor is directly above the oil filter. Confused All seems to well again. Oil pressure gauge reading at about the 1/4 mark at idle. Get her up to speed and she's steady at the 1/2 mark. Cool

R/
Don
Back to top Go down
Mike Riley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mike Riley

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure EmptyFri 14 Aug - 0:05

Seany-boy
I think you'll be happy with the console pod gauges. Looks better than the ashtray and gives you 2 accurate gauges. The only caveat is they have LED lights so they don't dim like the dash, but who cares most of the time I have the dash turned up all the way at night anyhow. Both my Auto Meter gauges are very easy to see at night. My amp gauge actually signaled a short in my headlight dimmer switch for me - so it has already "paid" for itself. cool-blue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure   Oil Pressure Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Pressure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum :: DISCUSSIONS :: Tech Discussion (Q&A), Problems, Fixes. etc..-
Jump to: