1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

351W hard to start after running for a while

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rmashmore
Mach1 Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-25

351W hard to start after running for a while Empty
PostSubject: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptySun 25 Jul - 17:46

Just started having an issue with my 70 mach 1 with a 351W. Car starts and runs perfectly when cold. But after running her for a while she starts running rough and is difficult to start after shutting down until shes cold again. Some research suggest vapor lock, some suggests distrubutor issues. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Mach1Guy
Mach1 Veteran
Mach1Guy

Number of posts : 153
Your location : Kingston, Ontario
Registration date : 2005-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyMon 26 Jul - 16:45

Are you still running points? The first place I would be looking would be ignition timing and point adjustments (if you have them) Does it roll over really slow almost binding up when its hot?
Back to top Go down
http://www.machwon.com
rmashmore
Mach1 Member

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyMon 26 Jul - 17:39

It turns over fine and will start if I press down all the way on the gas and then it will reluctantly start after that. I'll have to chech on the points question and get back with you. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mach1Guy
Mach1 Veteran
Mach1Guy

Number of posts : 153
Your location : Kingston, Ontario
Registration date : 2005-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyWed 28 Jul - 22:04

Doesnt really sound like a timing issue but more a carb problem. WOnder if your choke is staying on a little?
Back to top Go down
http://www.machwon.com
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptySun 1 Aug - 23:40

Depending on the type of coil you have I would look there too. I had my original coil and it was mounted on the engine block so when it go hot it would not start the car as it was breaking down. I moved it to the inner guard and also replaced with a new coil. No problems since then.
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptySat 14 Aug - 5:25

Put an insulator block under the carby. That is most likely your problem.
You can even make one yourself out of 3 ply (ply wood). This is an exellent insulator and won't gain much height.
And there is no fire hazzard if you are worried about that.
Back to top Go down
rmashmore
Mach1 Member

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyThu 26 Aug - 11:51

Thanks for all the tips. I checked the points, they are in good condition. I'm going to look at replacing the coil. Mine is mounted on top of the block as well. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.
Back to top Go down
rmashmore
Mach1 Member

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyFri 27 Aug - 17:01

OK, replaced the coil, points are in good condition, still struggling to start when warm. It will start by pusing the pedal all the way to the floor, that's telling me it could be a fuel issue (vapor lock?). What can you do to avoid the vapor locking?
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyFri 27 Aug - 17:19

You engine is flooding.

1. Your needle & seat is faulty or has crap under it.
Clean or replace it and adjust the float level.

2. Insulate your fuel line from the fuel pump to the carby.

3. Put an insulator block under the carby, as I posted earlier.
Back to top Go down
rmashmore
Mach1 Member

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyMon 30 Aug - 14:35

Thanks. I'm going to start with trying to insulate the fuel line from the pump to the carb. Bought some insulating tape. Looks like crap, but we'll see if it works.
Back to top Go down
rmashmore
Mach1 Member

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while EmptyThu 9 Sep - 23:03

Think I have narrowed it down to flodding. Insulated fuel line and still have the same issue. Any easy way to clean the needle seat without taking the carb apart?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 351W hard to start after running for a while   351W hard to start after running for a while Empty

Back to top Go down

351W hard to start after running for a while
Page 1 of 1