1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rear brakes locking up!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mrelxr
mrelxr

Number of posts : 8
Your location : Melbourne Australia
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Rear brakes locking up! Empty
PostSubject: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyThu 12 Aug - 5:24

My M code mach 1 locks both rear wheels under heavy or sudden braking. I have replaced the master cylinder, re-built front calipers, re-built proportioning valve, flushed brake lines and hoses and replaced rear wheel cylinders. The only thing is i fitted slightly smaller ones than the originals which are 29-32" with 7/8", which are not a great deal smaller. If anyone can offer any advice on my problem it would be much appreciated. I dont want to have to replace the wheel cylinders with the correct size only to find it hasnt fixed the problem.
Back to top Go down
Mach1Guy
Mach1 Veteran
Mach1Guy

Number of posts : 153
Your location : Kingston, Ontario
Registration date : 2005-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyThu 12 Aug - 16:08

Hey
Does it have power brakes?
Has it always been a front disk brake car?
Are the rear shoes rivitted or bonded?
Back to top Go down
http://www.machwon.com
mrelxr
mrelxr

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyThu 12 Aug - 17:00

Yes it has factory power brakes and it has bonded rear shoes
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Your location : Australia
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyFri 13 Aug - 7:57

is this a new issue or is it a new car for you?
Just checking as if you are used to driving with a ABS equipped vehicle well....

When I hit the brakes earlier this year the back locked up and we did a little 2 or 4 wheel slide. I thought/think they may all do that. Manual ABS with th efoot was required Very Happy

Also check the age of the rear tyres, make sure not old hard tyres.
Back to top Go down
mrelxr
mrelxr

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyFri 13 Aug - 8:11

I have heard from a few people that by fitting smaller wheel cylinders they will lock up but since they are just over 1mm smaller i dont think they would make any difference. When you say yours does it, does it do it all the time as mine doesnt matter what speed your doing i can get the back to lock up. I would find it hard to believe that its normal for it to do it. Has anyone else experienced this with there's? I also suspected my tyres so i tried some others which were new and bigger and did the same. Under normal braking there fine even at high speed but if i hit the pedal hard quickly they lock even for that split second whilst on the brake pedal. Normally when you hit the brakes hard its the fronts that will lock but i cant get mine to do it.
Back to top Go down
seany-boy
Mach1 Veteran
seany-boy

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyFri 13 Aug - 19:22

I see you are in Melbourne too so have you tried the Oz forum as well? I suspect it happens at most speeds as I was not travelling too fast just suddenly braked. maybe also proportioning valve in master cylinder has an impact?
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptySat 14 Aug - 5:21

Get 3/4 wheel cylinders
That is what Ford Aust did for XB/XC Falcons back in their day.
Back to top Go down
mrelxr
mrelxr

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptySun 15 Aug - 7:00

Thats smaller than what i have now, it would make it even worse.
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptySun 15 Aug - 21:52

Making the wheel cylinders smaller will not increase braking pressure.
Quite the opposite.
It will give a harder pedal with less travel and reduce rear lock-up.
It is the opposite to this:

"Improved Braking
The bottom line is, if the stopping power of a car needs improvement, or if there’s a need to reduce the pedal effort, several options are available: (1) Decrease the master cylinder bore size; (2) Increase the pedal ratio; (3) Increase the wheel cylinder bore size."
Back to top Go down
mrelxr
mrelxr

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptySun 15 Aug - 22:21

Thanks for the info. Can you answer this then. Why did they originaly come with 29/32" wheel cylinders which are much larger. Now that I have fitted 7/8" wheel cylinders which are smaller it hasn't made it better?
Back to top Go down
mrelxr
mrelxr

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptySun 15 Aug - 22:28

Also I have noticed that under normal braking they are very sensitive and do not need much pedal pressure to stop or slow down.
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyMon 16 Aug - 1:29

Believe what you want to believe.
I don't question the physics.
Google it and then tell me it is still wrong.........
Back to top Go down
mrelxr
mrelxr

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyMon 16 Aug - 8:07

Im not saying your wrong, im just asking why originally they came fitted with larger wheel cylinders?
Back to top Go down
badstang
Mach1 Member
badstang

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! EmptyTue 17 Aug - 0:23

No worries no offence taken.
Why did Leyland make the P76? Anyones guess really.
It may have been lots of factors like tyre technology improving or road surfaces changing their coefficient???
Maybe even different driving styles.
I don't know, but I do know, it's not the first time a car manufacturer has made design faults.
Look at all the vehicle recalls made today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear brakes locking up!   Rear brakes locking up! Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear brakes locking up!
Page 1 of 1