1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry Forum

Welcome to the 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry this forum is open to all 1970 Mach1 owners & enthusiast around the world.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Petronix points replacement

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Riley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mike Riley

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Petronix points replacement Empty
PostSubject: Petronix points replacement   Petronix points replacement EmptyWed 18 Mar - 14:25

I put a Petronix II box in the distributor and have the correct Petronix coil for the unit. During the break-in stage I have been starting the engine at the solenoid (jumping with a screwdriver) and running a wire from the distributor to the battery. I have been told that I have to replace a resisted wire to run the Petronix on a 1970 Mustang. Is this true? If so where is the wire located and what is the factory color code?

BTW: the engine runs great, but it sure would be nice to be able to run it with the "key" rather than under the hood. If it isn't a resisted wire I guess I'll need to back track with a continuity light. confused
Back to top Go down
Mustangs Alley
Mach1 Enthusiast
Mustangs Alley

Number of posts : 30
Your location : Garnet Valley, PA
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Petronix points replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petronix points replacement   Petronix points replacement EmptyWed 18 Mar - 15:23

Hi Mike,

I can't answer your question, but I do have some words of wisdom (experience with Petronix).

I installed the Petronix Dist with the Pet. II Flame-thrower Ignition Coil in my car TWICE Mad .

Both times it would not spark strong at all, wasn't burning properly. I sent them both back to Summit Racing and wound up purchasing a Proform HEI Distributor (no external coil needed). Started up immediately. It was absolutely Night vs Day between the two set-ups.

I actually purchased the Proform from a local racing shop while I had the second Pet still at hand. I wanted to prove to myself (and Summit) that it was the Distributor causing the issue. Summit thought Pet wasn't the issue (guess again).

Just wanted to give you some history and an option if you run into the same situation.
Back to top Go down

Petronix points replacement
Page 1 of 1